Important Information about CARES Act Stimulus Payment Prepaid Cards
ABOUT THE EIP PREPAID CARDS
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act enacted in March provides for immediate, direct cash payments to lower-and middle-income Americans of $1,200 for each adult and $500 for each child, beginning to phase out at an annual income of $75,000 for an individual and $150,000 for a household. So far, $239 billion worth of payments has been distributed via direct deposit, paper check or Direct Express card accounts, according to the latest Treasury Department report.
On May 18, the U.S. Treasury Department announced that MetaBank – Treasury’s “financial agent” – was sending four million prepaid cards to a highly specific group of Americans: taxpayers who do not have bank account information on file with the IRS from the 2018 or 2019 tax years and have had their returns processed by the IRS Service Centers in Andover, Massachusetts or Austin, Texas.
It comes in the following envelope:
A photo of the card:
How to use it
Instructions are enclosed in the mailing envelope and also viewable online at https://www.eipcard.com/. The card can be activated online or via the customer service phone line at 1-800-240-8100.
Where the card can be used
According to the EIP card website, the card can be used anywhere a Visa card is an acceptable form of payment. Cash can be withdrawn at an ATM, but MetaBank charges a fee for using an “out of network” ATM. MetaBank directs cardholders to use the surcharge-free ATM locator online at https://www.eipcard.com/locator.
The funds can be transferred to a bank account by activating the EIP card online or via phone, or using the Money Network Mobile App.
- Out-of-Network ATM Withdrawal Fee: $2.00; waived for first withdrawal (excludes any fee also charged by the ATM operator)
- Bank Teller Over-the-Counter Cash Withdrawal Fee: $5.00 (excludes any additional bank fee; applies domestically and internationally)
- Balance Inquiry fee, In-Network and Out-of-Network: $0.25 (applies domestically and internationally)
- International ATM Withdrawal Fee: $3.00 (excludes any fee also charged by the ATM operator)
- Reissuance of Lost/Stolen Card Fee: $7.50 (waived for first reissue)
- Priority Shipping Fee for Replacement Card: $17.00
More information on the fee schedule can be found at https://www.eipcard.com/fee-schedule.
There is a $1,000 per day ATM withdrawal limit, although some banks and accounts may have lower limits.
How to request a new card if lost
Replacement cards can be requested via the MetaBank customer service phone line at 1-800-240-8100 (option 2 from main menu). Individuals do not need to know their card number to request a replacement.